Friday, March 4, 2011

Emerald City Comic Con

What may prove to be the most pivotal convention season of my burgeoning career starts today. When I met Dean Trippe in the Books-A-Million checkout line, I never thought that two short years later I'd be making a serious run at this dream of writing comics. Even when I was in NYC, standing on the convention floor of one of the wildest shows I'd ever seen, and later, drinking and making friends with people like Tim Callahan, who would get me my first mention on CBR and my first paying gig in the industry, it never seemed like anything more than a good time. God bless Dean though, as he was persistent as hell. When he saw that you truly loved comics, he'd do whatever he could to light that fire under your butt and send you running.

Now I'm in Seattle, the second farthest I've ever been from my home, and I'm about to walk onto a convention floor as a professional for the first time. I'm proud of myself, and humbled, all at the same time. Saying that I walked the wrong paths for a lot of years wouldn't be correct. Instead, it was like I was just standing still. I was on the right path, but I'd chosen to stop moving at some point along the way. But if the last year, with all its trials and surprises, has taught me anything, it's that you have to keep moving. There is something waiting at the end of that road, but if you don't move toward it you'll never find out what that something is.

For me, that something is writing comic books. Today, I take a very big step down that road.

No comments:

Post a Comment