Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mutants & Masterminds


Some of the most prolific writing I've done over the last year has been the creation of a timeline/campaign setting for a Mutants & Masterminds game I intend to run for my friends over the next year. The game springs from a half tabletop/half LARP superhero game called 3001 that my close friends and I developed in high school. Essentially, we were a bunch of comic nerds who liked D&D but were angry that there wasn't a good system for superhero roleplaying. So we just wrote a game for ourselves. Over the years, being the lone writer in the group, I sort of took the best parts of what we'd come up with and tweaked them into something that I might eventually use as a comic pitch. Over the years the 3001 stuff got put on the backburner. Recently, some of my friends expressed an interest in doing some tabletop roleplaying and I recalled that I'd once owned a D20 system game called Mutants & Masterminds that I'd never had the chance to play. 3001 (now with a completely different name) came to mind immediately and I sought out the books necessary to run a game for the guys.

I found that when I got back into that world I'd created as a kid that the experience of expanding on it was very cathartic and productive. I was able to apply what I know about fringe science, bleeding edge technology and political trends to the structure I'd created as a teen. The finished product is honestly one of the most cohesive and rewarding things I've created and I can't wait to share the game with you when we begin playing.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait. Characters are flowing out of this man. Get a towel.

    ReplyDelete