Thursday, February 10, 2011

Quandary

This was waiting for me in my e-mail when I reached the coffee shop today:

We are excited to announce that Sequart will have a panel this year at C2E2 for The Year of Ellis. We will be covering all three Ellis books coming out this year as well as the Ellis documentary: Captured Ghosts. As a contributor on any of the Ellis projects coming out this year, we are inviting you onto the panel. There are a limited number of seats available, so this is a first come first serve basis. Once the spots are filled, we will send out an email announcing that the members picked.

If you will be attending C2E2 and would like to be included, please let us know by 2/19 so we can amend the panel listing.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you.

That's a message from the marketing director of Sequart, the company for which I'm working on a Transmetropolitan book. I have an essay set to appear in a collection of essays about the impact and importance of Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan. Sequart is also releasing a similar book about Ellis's Planetary and an Ellis documentary, as you can see from the e-mail. Here's my problem; I really want to respond to this e-mail with a resounding yes, but I'm not sure that I should. Given the wealth of great writers participating in these projects, it seems presumptuous of me to think I'd honestly be welcome on this panel. It would be great for my career to participate in something so visible, but at the same time I am torn, because I'm not sure I've earned it. Compared to a lot of the people involved, my resume is seriously lacking. It's first come first serve, so should I respond and go up there and wow them, or should I graciously bow out and let those elder me participate?

Suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. So yeah, I'm definitely going to be on that panel.

    People are no doubt going to read the con schedule and say, "Brett who? Who the heck is THAT guy?" haha

    ReplyDelete