Monday, February 11, 2013

Starlord


This week it was revealed that Chris Pratt (Parks & Rec) would be playing the role of Starlord in Marvel's upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film.  I'd like to start this out by saying that I don't have anything against Chris Pratt.  He's one of the things about Parks & Rec I like the most.  And a recent action turn in Kathryn Bigelow's  Zero Dark Thirty gives him some serious chops.  But Starlord?  I'm just not sure.  What's holding me back from embracing this casting choice?

Nathan Fillion.

As a diehard Browncoat, I'm the first person to admit that we sometimes have trouble seeing the forest for the trees.  When it comes to roles that either embody the spirt or the aesthetic of Captain Malcolm Reynolds, we just can't let Firefly go.  When it was time to cast the Green Lantern, fans everywhere made a strong case for Fillion donning the ring.  Given the success of that film, maybe Warner should have considered him over the former Two Guys cast member who did get the role.  While there hasn't been nearly as vocal a contingent trying to get Fillion cast as Starlord, it's hard to imagine a better person for the role.  But even as I type that, I have to ask myself, can I not imagine a better person for the role because I'm such a fan of Fillion as a swashbuckling astronaut?  Am I not seeing the forest for the trees?


I'm a big fan of Guardians of the Galaxy and the Starlord character is one of my favorite of all time.  I guess part of me just got excited at the prospect of my favorite sci-fi captain coming back to play my favorite comics buckler of swashes.  Que sera, sera.

Too bad he's too old to play the younger version of this handsome devil.






No comments:

Post a Comment